Friday, February 17, 2012

An Excitotoxin - meaning it literally excites your brain cells to death

That's what MSG, or Monosodium Glutamate (sometimes referred to as Glutamic Acid) does.  And, unbelievably, it's in LOTS of the foods you buy - especially processed foods.  It is also found in...  wait for it....  BABY foods. Yep, you heard it right.  Baby's brains grow more in the first two years of life than any other time, and companies are putting substances in their food that kill those cells.



What can you do?

When possible, avoid processed foods and those with lots of additives. Make sure the food does not contain MSG, hydrolyzed proteins, or glutamic acid.  Also, buy organic, which lessens the possibility but I have still found many of the below-mentioned ingredients in organic food, so even that's not fail-safe.

Sometimes MSG is “hidden” in other ingredients – watch out for:

Autolyzed yeast

Calcium caseinate

Hydrolyzed oat four

Hydrolyzed protein (of any kind)

Monosodium glutamate

Plant protein extract

Sodium caseinate

Textured protein

Yeast extract

Be especially careful when the food contains:

Boullion

Broth

Flavoring

Malt extract/flavoring

Natural beef/chicken flavoring

Natural flavoring

Seasoning

Spices

Stock

Carageenan

Enzymes

Soy protein

Whey protein

Once I learned about this, I kept this list in my purse when I went shopping, and whenever I was going to buy anything processed, checked this first.  Even items like organic crackers or vegetable broth I found contained sometimes several of these ingredients.  Eventually I started learning them and no longer had to carry my list.



Source: Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills by Dr. Russell Blaylock

No comments:

Post a Comment