Most processed food is laden with artificial preservatives, dyes, and nasty things you definitely wouldn't choose to give your kids - yet you are, each time you offer them one of these "kids" foods (as they're often marketed towards them). It has been suggested that these additives can interfere with a child's brain, learning processes, and modify their behavior.
One of my faves, Dr. Greene, provides a list of additives you should avoid:
1. Artificial Colors – anything that begins with FD&C (e.g. FD&C Blue #1)
2. Chemical Preservatives – Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA), Sodium Nitrate, Sodium Benzoate
3. Artificial Sweeteners – Aspartame, Acesulfame-K, Saccharin
4. Added Sugar – High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), Corn Syrup, Dextrose, etc .
5. Added Salt – Look at the sodium content and choose foods with the lowest amounts.
Healthy Child also suggests that you "Read labels! Particularly keep an eye out for the following. Some of these cause allergy-like symptoms or are suspected carcinogens."
- Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA) and Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT).
- Propyl Gallate
- Sodium Nitrate/Nitrate
- Sulfites (Sulfur Dioxide, Sodium Sulfite, Sodium And Potassium Bisulfite, Sodium and Potassium Metabisulfite)
- Potassium Bromate
- FD&C Blue No. 1
- FD&C Blue No. 2
- FD&C Green No. 3
- FD&C Red No. 3 (Erythrosine)
- FD&C Yellow No. 5 (Tartrazine)
- FD&C Yellow No. 6
- Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
With all kids are exposed to in the environment these days, it only makes sense to avoid purposefully giving them extra bad things to ingest (including these).