Sunday, March 4, 2012

Gallo Pinto and Guacamole

Gallo Pinto is the national dish of Costa Rica.  I fell in LOVE with it while there - ate it breakfast, lunch and dinner!  My tica mama gave me the guac recipe, and my spanish teacher the gallo pinto recipe.  It has become a favorite in our house!  

I usually make them together, so I'll list the ingredients as such:

1 onion, diced
3 red bell peppers, diced
2 avocadoes
1 lime
1 garlic clove
oil
cilantro
jalapenos (fresh or jarred), finely diced
2 cups black beans or 1 can
1 cup dried rice, cooked according to package directions

Saute onion and pepper in oil. 

Guacamole

Peel and mash the avocado, and add about 1/4 of the onion/pepper mix.  Add the juice from the lime.  Mix and serve with tortillas.

Gallo Pinto

Add garlic, cilantro and jalapenos to onion/pepper mix.  Add beans and cooked rice, stir well.


There is an AWESOME salsa in Costa Rica called Lizano - if you can find this, it really makes the dish!


On that note - if anyone DOES find it, please comment and let me know where!

No comments:

Post a Comment